Sunday, April 4, 2010

Writing on Easter Sunday...

Happy Easter everyone! Today we celebrate the wonderful thing that Christ did for us when he allowed himself to be killed, and then rose again on the third day!

I've just been checking out all of my favorite writing hot-spots, trying to keep on top of things. While visiting the Writer's Digest forums, I started to ask myself: why do so many writers feel self-conscious about their works? I mean, we write, then we re-write, then edit, then rewrite again… then we post it somewhere to see what others think, get the feedback, go back and edit again, post again, rewrite again… after awhile wouldn’t you think we’d have it as perfected as we can get it?

So, ok, nothing’s perfect. That’s just the cold hard truth. In my opinion though, every new writer believes that in order to make it to the shelves, they have to pull out the next bestseller. This just isn’t true. I mean, I sure wouldn’t mind finding out from someone that my book had hit the New York Times Bestseller list, but it probably won’t happen for me on the first time around. Personally, I just enjoy the writing, and when I finally see my book in print, that will be like the icing on the cake. (Notice I said “when” and not “if”. First step to achieving your goal: think positive.)

So to all of you young or new writers out there freaking out because you just aren’t sure if your poem or song or novel is quite good enough and you want to please everyone: STOP! Take a break and think about it. You’re never going to be able to please EVERYONE with what you write; what’s really important is that you write it to your own standards, make it the best it can be, and be happy with it. (I speak to myself as well.) If you’re not happy with it, no one else will be.

Ok, time to get off of my soap box and go take my own advice. :D

No comments: